|Location||Balwyn, Melbourne, Australia|
|Operated by||City of Boroondara|
|Public transport access||Tram route 109|
Balwyn Park is a park located adjacent to Whitehorse Road in Balwyn. It caters for several sporting activities as well as passive recreation. Balwyn Park is also home to the Balwyn Tigers Australian football team.
The first football team to be based at Balwyn Park was established in 1922. Much to the chagrin of local residents, the park was fenced in 1929 and the purchase of a ticket was now required to view local football matches. A ticket box was created in the stone pillars at the entrance to the park on Whitehorse Road that is still visible today. The original weatherboard building constructed in 1922 was moved adjacent to the Balwyn Bowling Club in 1941, having been replaced by a brick grandstand in 1935.
The park is located on top of a large hill and has commanding views from its highest point to the north. There is very little vegetation in the parkland with almost all of the space given over to open grass or impervious surfaces. Some large gum trees remain, particularly in the western part of the land, and some low shrubs and bushes along the boundary with Whitehorse Road.
Tram route 109 directly services the park along Whitehorse Road. It is also a short walk from the route 285 bus stop on the corner of Balwyn and Whitehorse Roads. There are three separate off-street parking areas within Balwyn Park itself and on-street parking bays are available in adjacent streets at certain times of the day. Several paths run through the park linking its northern, southern, eastern and western parts.
Clubs and groups
A number of sporting clubs and community organisations utilise the park:
- Balwyn Tigers Football Club
- Balwyn Cricket Club
- Balwyn Junior Football Club
- Boroondara Hawks Junior Football Club
- Balwyn Park Tennis Club
- 1st Balwyn Scouts
- Boroondara City Council. Balwyn Park Concept Masterplan. November 2013. https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/about-council/projects-and-major-works/improving-parks-and-sportsgrounds/balwyn-park-concept-master-plan, accessed: 25 June 2018
- SportsTG. Balwyn - SportsTG. 2018. http://websites.sportstg.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-722-47648-0-0, accessed: 4 February 2018
- Balwyn Historical Society. A Compilation of Newsletter Articles January 2011 - December 2012. December 2012. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~balwynhs/newsletters/letters/articles_11-12.pdf, accessed: 25 June 2018