John Butler Maling
|John Butler Maling|
8 July, 1840|
Shepreth, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
|Died||March 10, 1931(aged 90)|
|Burial place||Box Hill Cemetery, Box Hill|
|Spouse(s)||Jane Maling, Anne Prior Bayley, Ann Young|
John Butler Maling was an early landowner of Boroondara and one of the longest-serving councillors in the history of Camberwell. He served as president of the Shire of Boroondara three times and as the City of Camberwell's first mayor in 1905/1906.
Maling was born in Shepreth and migrated to Australia in April 1858 after training as a carpenter and joiner in England. His initial arrival was in Sydney, but only remained there for some months before walking the 900 kilometres to Melbourne, taking jobs along the way. Upon his arrival he leased and then purchased a 13 acre parcel of land between Weybridge Street and Whitehorse Road, Surrey Hills, in the 1860s. He retired from the council in 1916, being succeeded in his position as councillor by William Nott.
John Maling was first elected to the Shire of Boroondara in 1887, and served continuously through its various incarnations. He served as the shire's president in 1887-8, 1897-8, and 1904-5. After the proclamation of the Town of Camberwell in 1905, he also served as its first mayor and one of the three inaugural councillors for the North Ward.
Present-day Chatham Primary School was built after Maling's land was subdivided and sold to the Victorian Department of Education in 1923 for a new school. The school was formally opened on 15 February 1928.
- Australian Cemeteries Index. Inscription 9803479 - John Butler Maling. http://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=9803479, accessed: 16 July 2016
- Nicholson, N. Maling, C. D. Notes on John Butler Maling, first mayor of Camberwell. 1966.
- Jupp, James. The Australian People: an Encyclopedia of the Nation, its People and their Origins. Cambridge University Press: 2001. pg.293. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=wgoFxfSTfYAC&pg=PA293&lpg=PA293, accessed: 5 July 2016
- Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre. John Butler Maling. http://www.surreyhillsnc.org.au/john-butler-maling, accessed: 16 July 2016
- Royal Historical Society of Victoria. John Butler Maling. 17 May 2016. http://www.historyvictoria.org.au/events/john-butler-maling, accessed: 16 July 2016
- Box Hill Reporter. 'Camberwell City Council Election'. 1 September 1916, pg.4. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/75166103, accessed: 3 July 2016
- Chatham Primary School. Chatham Heritage Background. http://www.chathamps.vic.edu.au/app/webroot/uploaded_files/media/chatham_heritage_background.pdf, accessed: 16 July 2016
- City of Boroondara. St Barnabas Church - Balwyn and Balwyn North Heritage Study. July 2013. https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/-/media/Files/Your%20Council/Building%20and%20planning/Heritage/balwyn%20and%20balwyn%20north%20heritage%20study/86-Balwyn-Road-pdf.pdf, accessed: 16 July 2016
- City of Boroondara. History of Ward Names. https://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/our-city/history/ward-names, accessed: 16 July 2016